Thursday, September 23, 2010

Authenticity

When I was in high school, I could always tell who my favorite teachers were going to be from the first day of school.  When I walked into the classroom, I wasn't looking for a genius to teach me about chemistry or calculus or a world-renowned author to teach English to me; I was looking for a passion in my teachers that could only be described by how they interacted with their students.  A teacher who truly cares about the students learning the information while enjoying themselves is authentic.  So many teachers today are so concerned about getting their students to pass standardized tests that they have forgotten the most important aspect of being a teacher: helping students to actually understand and be able to use the material that they are studying.  An authentic teacher will go out of their way to obtain every student's interest in the subject being covered.  But another quality of an authentic teacher is the ability to relate to students. No matter how knowledgeable a person may be, they cannot be a good teacher without being able to transfer it to students.  For students to learn the best, I feel that it is most important to feel like the teacher is there to help, and not out to get them or make them fail.  Being on the same level as the students allows for easier conversation and a better connection between teacher and student.

No comments:

Post a Comment